Tales from the Cryptic Forums: Fleet Name Fix Up
Storm Shade popped in to the forums and droped a little goodie, or not so goodie depending on what way you look at. Many fleets in STO have the same name but are not members of the same fleet. With F2P coming and the prospect that many new players may wish to join forces with an existing fleet or create a new one, cryptic fixed the names so that there will not be any more doppelgangers.
Last week during our maintenance we fixed a bug which was allowing people to create fleets using names which were already taken. Now that this bug has been fixed, we’ll be running script tomorrow (Friday, November 11, 2011) to remove duplicate fleet names from the game.
What this means:
If you belong to a fleet which currently has a “shared” fleet name, your fleet name may be changed tomorrow when this script is ran.
If your fleet was the first one created using a given name, your fleet name will remain unchanged.
If your fleet was created using the same name as another fleet, after the original fleet using that name was created, your fleet name will be changed. As an example:
- The First instance of [Fleet] will remain unchanged.
- The second instance of [Fleet] will become [Fleet] B.
- The third instance would become [Fleet] C, etc.
Fleet leaders, should your fleets name be changed during this fix up, and you are not happy with the new name provided, you may change your fleet name. Doing so is both easy, and free. To do so:
- Open the fleet window
- Click on the information tab
- Find your fleet’s name in the top left, and click Edit
- Type in your desired new name, and then click save
- As long as your new fleet name is unique, and conforms to the TOS, it will be permitted.
Should you have any questions regarding this, or should you experience any difficulties renaming your fleet, please respond to this thread, and I will do my best to assist you.”